A Finish and … Oops!

I have sewn the last of the binding down on the quilt-along quilt. Crooked seams aside I’m pleased with how it turned out. There were a couple of things I learned while making this:

  • Pre-cuts are not always cut accurately
  • Quilting batiks works much better with a smaller needle (say 70/10)

I figured out the last one by accident. I had been using a Microtex 80/12 needle—a couple of them actually. After struggling with skipped stitches and breaking thread while doing the free-motion quilting on the border, I happened to be paging through Laurie Shifren’s book Batik Gems and there it was on page 17. I’ve been through that book a zillion times but hadn’t retained that bit of information. I now have a note by my sewing machine to remind me. What a difference it made!

Little Windows Quilt

Folded quilt

This quilt is also one of my PHD projects on Myra’s blog.

Now for the oops.

nine patch blocks

Wait for it…

quilt blocks

This is from my own pattern. I knew I was supposed to cut the green squares at 6 1/2-inches. Somehow what my brain knew and what my hands did suffered a disconnect. Thank goodness my local fabric shop had more of the green.

Cheers!

finis

Advertisements

3 thoughts on “A Finish and … Oops!”

  1. Hi,
    I followed you to your blog from Myra’s PhD page. I love your batik quilt! And thank you for that hint about the needle size for quilting on batiks. I had heard somewhere before, actually from a quilting teacher who doesn’t like batiks or much of anything “modern” that batiks are very difficult to free motion quilt. Sew now I know the trick!

    Nana B

  2. Hi Anita!

    Love your batik finish, and thanks for the hint for a smaller needle, as I have a batik PhD to finish soon…

    About your Oops… been there done that too… lol! 😎

    Just doing a friendly drop in PhD visit here… Looking forward to seeing some more of your progress on them on the group blog… 😎

    Happy stitchings!

Comments are closed.