I’ve had fun putting these blocks together. The pattern was simple enough that I could fit in the cutting and stitching in between work and school. Spending time with fabric is usually a most welcome diversion, allowing time for relaxing and shutting out other things for a while.
One thing I learned, though, is that I prefer to do my own cutting—all of it that is. This was the first time I used pre-cut strips. I was dismayed to discover that the strips were not cut evenly, which made for some very creative piecing when it came time to put it all together. I trimmed some of the areas that were wider than the 2.5-inches they should have been. Areas that were narrower, well, that’s where the creative piecing came in.
Another thing I learned participating in the quilt along is that having a schedule of sorts, and knowing there were other stitchers out there along with me (no matter that I don’t know them personally), really kept me motivated to finish.
Here are the blocks sewn together. I do like these colors. They’re all from the “Berry Bliss” bali pops collection.
On the upper right corner you can see the edges of fabric from my stash that I’m thinking of using for borders.
~ ~ ~ ~
The little kaleidoscope quilt is finally hanging in my office at work. You can see my first attempt at feather quilting in the corners. I echo quilted the small star in the very center and added some straight lines radiating out from there to the edge of the kaleidoscope.